Market Research in Egypt
Egypt is Africa’s second-largest economy, which – despite the pandemic – kept growing in 2020 by 3.6% (compared to 4-5% in the years before). With a population of more than 100 million people, Egypt offers a huge market to sell products and services.
There are three different approaches to discover the Egyptian market: Market research, market visit, and opportunity screening.
Market Research provides important insight before entering the market, setting the strategy, or deciding on local investments. It is an essential tool to learn the market conditions in Egypt as well as other information such as the market size, competitive environment, and trends. With our market research service, reliable and misleading information can be separated to uncover the local dynamics and challenges.
We are supporting our clients for more than 20 years now in understanding emerging markets. If you need an easy-to-read and clear-cut formatted report that is custom-made exactly to your needs, we are the right partner for you.
In addition to Egypt, we offer market research for Morocco, Tunisia, Turkey, and UAE.
Get in touch with us
Advantages of conducting a Market Analysis in Egypt with FMC Group
- more than 20 years of market analysis experience in emerging markets, delivering hundreds of projects in 20+ different sectors
- clear and applicable insight even in niche segments. Our strength is looking at the local markets through the eyes of our clients, reaching the right people, and filtering the relevant data
- a tailor-made research project for your exact demand. It can range from answering a few certain questions up to a comprehensive market analysis with a presentation to the board
- a flexible approach. Research focus can be can dynamically adjusted according to upcoming findings by integrating our clients to the project according to their preferences.
- a highly developed and proven methodology to research the markets
FMC Group’s Market Research Methodology and Tools for the Egyptian Market
We have proven methodology and tools which we can easily customize to your research needs
Each research project can be a unique combination of:
- Desk research
- Phone interviews
- Face-to-face in-depth interviews
- Site visits
- Online surveys
- Focus Groups
Typical Scope for Market Research in Egypt
- Market size
- Market structure
- Sales & distribution channels in Egypt
- Key players (competition, customers and other stakeholders)
- Market shares
- Trends & developments in Egypt
- Cost structure
- Location analysis
- SWOT analysis
We can also provide more insight by a detailed competition analysis & benchmarking
Our additional services to understand the Egyptian market:
This service is often used as an alternative solution for a lower budget. Our clients are using it also in addition to a market research to discuss with stake holders face-to-face in Egypt.
We accompany such visits in Turkey and give intercultural support in addition. Such visits are fully organized, starting from a pick-up at the airport to the travel organization with all visits, which is very helpful especially in a busy city like Cairo.
If personally traveling to Egypt is not an option, we can organize online meetings as well.
Opportunity screening is very pragmatical approach to understand the full potential of the Egyptian market. Usually, we conduct a representative number of interviews with potential customer in Egypt to understand the full potential. The results are often used by our clients to contact the created leads.
Information about the Egyptian Market
QUICK FACTS About Egypt
- Official name: Arab Republic of Egypt
- Capital: Cairo
- Government type: Presidential republic (since 1953)
- Head of state: President Abdelfattah El Sisi (since 2014)
- Landmass: 995,450 km²
- Sea and water: 6,000 km²
- Currency: Egyptian Pound (EGP=100 piasters)
- Major urban areas: Cairo (20.9 million) and Alexandria (5.3 million)
- Languages: Arabic (official), English and French widely understood by educated classes
- Time zone: UTC + 02:00
- Telephone code: +20
- Climate: Desert; hot, dry summers with moderate winters
- National holidays: January 25 (Revolution day), April 25 (Sinai Liberation Day), June 30 (Revolution Day), July 23 (Revolution Day), October 6 (Armed Forces Day).
- Border countries: Gaza Strip (13 km), Israel (208 km), Libya (1115 km), Sudan (1276 km)
- Coastline: 2,450 km
- Control of the Sinai Peninsula and Suez Canal which links the Mediterranean Sea to the Red Sea and provides the shortest sea link between Asia and Europe.
- Population: 104.1 million with median age of 24.1 (2020)
- Life expectancy: 72.3 years (men), 75.3 years (women) (2020)
- Population density: 102.8/ sq km (2020)
- Population growth rate: 2.28% (2020)
- Population distribution: around 95% of the population lives within 20 km of the Nile River and its delta with Cairo being the most densely populated city. Vast areas of the country are sparsely populated or uninhabited.
- Labor force: 29.1 million (2020)
LARGE DOMESTIC MARKET
- Mobile phone penetration: 94.6% (2020)
- Internet penetration: 55.7% (2020)
- 19th largest economy in the world in terms of GDP PPP (2020)
- 2nd largest economy in Africa (2020)
- GDP in current prices: USD 361.9 bn (2020)
- GDP growth: 3.6% (2020)
- GDP per capita: USD 3,561 (2020)
- Unemployment: 10.4% (2020)
- Inflation: 5.1% (2020)
- Total exports: USD 29.0 bn (2019)
- Total imports: USD 70.9 bn (2019)
- Trade balance: USD -41.9 bn (2019)
- Main exports: Petroleum and other minerals, agricultural products, textiles, machinery, and electrical appliances (2019)
- Main imports: Petroleum products, wheat, cars, and pharmaceutical products (2019)
- Free Trade Agreements (FTA): Egypt is a signatory to various multilateral and bilateral trade agreements which include the Euro-Med Partnership, the European Union-Egypt Free Trade Agreement, Turkey-Egypt Free Trade Agreement, the Free Trade Agreement with European Free Trade Association (EFTA) States, the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA) and the Greater Arab Free Trade Area (GAFTA).
FOREIGN DIRECT INVESTMENT
- FDI: USD 9 bn (2019). According to the Global Investment Report 2020 published by the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD), Egypt was the largest recipient of FDI in Africa recording an 11% growth to reach USD 9.0 billion while total FDI flows to Africa declined by 10%.
- FDI stock: USD 126.6 bn (2019)
- Main investing countries: UK (41.2%), Belgium (14.9%), USA (13.7%), UAE (6.3%), France (4%) and Saudi Arabia (2.6%).
- Main invested sectors: Oil & gas (74.3%), real estate (6%), manufacturing (5.1%), financial services (3.3%) and construction (2%).
Disclaimer: Although we carefully researched and compiled the above information, we do not give any guarantee with respect to the actuality, correctness, and completeness.